Coming Out of the World of Warcraft Closet

I work in social media so naturally almost all of my coworkers are on Twitter. Yesterday morning I happened to discover through a Tweet that one of my female coworkers is a level 65 priest in World of Warcraft. This comes after discovering last week that another female coworker of mine used to play WoW several years back in college. Later that day, one more female came forward saying she played World of Warcraft too.

Other coworkers would chuckle or scoff at the mere mention of World of Warcraft, but to be known as a female World of Warcraft player? Totally unheard of and borderline unacceptable! The general response was, “I would never have thought of you all as World of Warcraft players.”

I pondered this.

I read somewhere that 85% of MMO players are male, leaving a sad population of 15% female players so of course it comes as a surprise that we not only encounter 1, not 2, but 3 in my workplace. So if World of Warcraft players are generally known as geeky, male social misfits, what does everyone expect female World of Warcraft players to be like?

The sad truth is the general population tends to judge people that play World of Warcraft. They see it as an unnecessary time suck, a marriage or relationship killer, and something that only nerds and geeks participate in. And although there are certain personalities that are prone to taking MMOs to the level of out-of-control addiction, a majority of players are relatively normal and actually have lives out of game. In fact, non-gamers really only hear about the tragic or sensational stories that come out of MMOs. They don’t hear about the “normal” stuff that happens.

For one thing, it has all the elements that most competitive sports require: critical thinking skills, some basic math and statistics skills, and even basic computer hardware troubleshooting skills (although not a competitive sports requirement, but a big plus nonetheless).

In addition to that, it also teaches teamwork, sportsmanship, tolerance and acceptance, and even loyalty (to a certain extent).

So if being a geek means I acquire all of that? Then yeah, call me a geek.

And if you’ve ever wondered what a female World of Warcraft player looks like in real life, she can look like this:

Although other times, she likes to be known as this:

Doesn’t she have a cute outfit? 🙂

Be Sociable, Share!

4 thoughts on “Coming Out of the World of Warcraft Closet”

  1. I have to wonder how accurate that percentage is. I would wager that I be the number is a little higher on the female end than one would think. I mean, look at your work place. Seems that there are enough gamer chicks to skew the numbers. AND, I can also imagine that it probably doesn’t count a lot of the RP chicks from back in the infancy of the Web (as available to the masses, so back in the early 90s), who only had text-based gaming to do online, who MIGHT have become WoWers. I actually know some who do now. But not all. I was hard-core into RP online, when it was text-based. Call me Reeny. ^_^ I went by that name for YEARS online. (And, I like to play video games on the PS3 with the hubs, so ….)

    SO, while I wouldn’t necessarily peg you as a gamer chick, one never knows. ^_^

    And, have you ever watched The Guild? It’s SO funny! And, it features many gamer chicks. AND, if you haven’t, you must, must check out their music video, “Do You Wanna Date My Avatar.” H.I.L.A.R.I.O.U.S.! Watch it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urNyg1ftMIU (And, I’m a total nerd because I DLed it from iTunes. ^_^)

  2. lol omg YES, I love watching the Guild! And I did see that music video—absolutely LOVE it. I’ve got such a huge girl crush on Felicia Day!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *